[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Fri May 1 22:36:58 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 10:59:32PM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> Projects like GCC, GLIBC, binutils, busybox, etc or what?
>
> A.

You'll notice all of these are low-level UNIX hacker sorts of tools mostly,
with the partial exception of busybox. But even that is mainly for embedded
use. It doesn't mean I don't think they're good and useful, but it does limit
the possible size of the community in my view.

Since we are talking about how to get the largest widest community possible
for DPDK, it could require doing things a bit differently from how many
low-level tools have historically done things.

The most popular projects in Github have up to 80K watchers, and 100K forks.
This type of popularity and interest is going to be hard to match just doing
it the older way only. Even Google said so, when they shut down Google Code
and moved stuff to Github:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2015/03/farewell-to-google-code.html

If we want to shoot for a big audience we have to make sure we have a presence
where the eyeballs are focused, as well as finding a way to support the
traditional kernel-style workflow some of the core contributors use.

Matthew.