[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Sat May 2 16:07:34 CEST 2015

On 5/2/15, 7:37 AM, "Thomas F Herbert" <thomasfherbert at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 5/2/15 7:40 AM, Neil Horman wrote:

>>> You'll notice all of these are low-level UNIX hacker sorts of tools
>>>mostly,
>>> with the partial exception of busybox. But even that is mainly for
>>>embedded
>>> use. It doesn't mean I don't think they're good and useful, but it
>>>does limit
>>> the possible size of the community in my view.
>>>
>>> Since we are talking about how to get the largest widest community
>>>possible
>>> for DPDK, it could require doing things a bit differently from how many
>>> low-level tools have historically done things.
>A look at gmane, http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.networking.dpdk.devel,
>confirms the explosion of interest in DPDK in the last 6 months with
>postings up to almost 70/day.  There is no problem with lack of interest
>in DPDK nor is there a need to change the mechanics of hosting the

We do need to reach more developer as I see the DPDK community growing
around VNF/NFV to developers that are not experts in the fine details of
DPDK, but a group of developers wanting to get the highest performance out
of his NFV/VNF system.

The DPDK community needs to grow and will grow, at 70+ emails a day which
will only become more. Using something like GitHub we will be able to help
the DPDK community to become more then a niche project or a low level tool.

Moving to a new site helps us. I believe, it may not allow you to stay
using pure command line development, but we as developers can and will
adapt to the new process quickly as I see the DPDK community as a very
bright and resourceful group of developers.