[dpdk-dev] build issue with out-of-tree builds and multiple mounts

Simon Kågström simon.kagstrom at netinsight.net
Mon May 4 14:42:41 CEST 2015

Hi!

I'm trying to do a out-of-tree build of DPDK 2.0.0 (with make -C and
O=), but failing with errors such as

  In file included from
[...]/lib/librte_eal/common/include/rte_eal_memconfig.h:40:0,
  [...]
  rte_malloc_heap.h:39:26: fatal error: rte_spinlock.h: No such file or
directory

Looking in the include/ directory in my build directory, I see a lot of
invalid symlinks to things like rte_spinlock.h:

  lrwxrwxrwx 1 ska users   99 May  4 14:33 rte_spinlock.h ->
../[...]/dpdk/lib/librte_eal/common/include/arch/x86/rte_spinlock.h

and I believe that this is caused by my use of multiple mounts: I have
my home directory and the source code on NFS, while the build directory
is on local disk (under a build/-symlink from my home directory). So
using ../ relative to the build directory will actually end up on the
local disk, and not work.

I guess it should be possible to workaround this by building somewhere
else, but perhaps there is some patch to be made in mk/? Any pointer to
where to look?

// Simon