[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Tue May 5 18:43:08 CEST 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 5, 2015, at 6:56 AM, Neil Horman <nhorman at tuxdriver.com> wrote:

>>> +1, I agree with this statement completely and I feel discussions about an
>>> MUA is non-productive and out of scope.
>>
>> +1.  I’ve avoided the whole discussion, because … ok, “non-productive and out of scope” is a polite way of saying it.
>>
>> jim
>
> Very well, since you seem to want to avoid talking about ways to get what you
> want in a workflow, lets go back to where the conversation started:
>
> http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-May/017225.html
>
> We got into this debate because you wanted to move the project to github, and as
> supporting reasons, listed a plethora of features that you liked about the site.
> This entire subtread has been meant to illustrate how you can have the features
> you want that you see as adventageous in the github environment without actualy
> moving to github.  We've focused on email quote collapsing because we kept
> responding to one another, though I'm sure we could have the same debate on any
> one of the workflow features github offers.
>
> Can we all agree then, that for the list posted in your email above, any github
> environmental feature can be recreated with proper tooling, available today,
> without forcing the github environment on everybody?  Further, can we agree
> that, given that those features are not unique to github, they are not
> compelling reasons to move the project there?

Neil (I had to type this on my phone so please forgive any typos or other statements that may sound odd. I am not trying to be rude in anyway)

I feel you are taking everything out of context here. The email client being able collapse threads is not the point here and I have tried to redirect you politely to the points moving DPDK to github.

As I and others have pointed out GitHub offers a huge number eyes for DPDK community. GitHub offers a different set of processes and tools, which we do not have to create. Moving to GitHub is a change for the community and I feel a good change for the better.

For your statements above I say NO we do not agree as much as your arguments around a single feature of an email client is not a compelling reason to accept your statements.

Github gives us the DPDK community a better and more widely accepted place to allow DPDK to grow and become the open source project we all want IMO.

I want to be polite here and we are not going to agree with keeping DPDK as it is today. We need to grow and change is the only way, I believe moving to GitHub gives the best support and eyeballs on DPDK to grow.

The tools supported on GitHub are different and yes you may need to change. The day to day development will remain the same and as we know that is the bulk of the work. The pushing of patches will change, which should be easier for move people to understand plus use.

We could spend a lot of time and money to update the current system, but why when we could start the move to GitHub today and use those tools for free.

I do not want this to become a flame war or something like it. I want us to try and figure out how we can improve the DPDK community. I can see keeping DPDK the way it is today, but this will stagnate DPDK IMHO and no one wants this to happen.

I do not want to split the DPDK community or try alienating any one.

Please take a breath and relax as we all want the best for DPDK.

Regards,
++Keith