[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Simon Kågström simon.kagstrom at netinsight.net
Wed May 6 10:30:04 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-06 10:12, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 05/05/2015 07:43 PM, Wiles, Keith wrote:
>
>> GitHub offers a different set of processes and
>> tools, which we do not have to create. Moving to GitHub is a change
>> for the community and I feel a good change for the better.
>
> Like quite a few others in this thread, I dont care if the git repo
> moved to the end of internet as long as email continues to be a
> first-class means for patch submissions, reviews and other
> communication. It doesn't have to be the only way as clearly many people
> prefer otherwise.

Perhaps something like pull-request-mailer could be used to tend to both
camps? I.e., sending out github pull requests to the mailing list for
review:

  https://github.com/google/pull-request-mailer

Anyway, for me personally (as a DPDK outsider), what I feel would be the
main improvement with using github would be that they have a very
well-integrated bug reporting system that keeps track of e.g., the
commit that fixes the bug etc.

I recently submitted a build issue to the mailing list, which Olivier
Matz promptly fixed with a patch (but which haven't been merged as far
as I can tell). In the gihub workflow, I'd submitted a bug report
("Issue #13" for example), Olivier would have fixed this through a
merge-request ("Issue #13: scripts: fix relpath.sh output when build dir
is a symlink") and I'd acked that fix in the bug report. When the merge
request was merged to the git repo, the bug report would be closed.

I'm also interested in the architecture discussions etc (or the github
debate!) on the list, but I really don't read patches sent to the list.

So if I had a vote (which I shouldn't have :-)), I'd vote for a gradual
move to github and a mailing list split.

// Simon