[dpdk-dev] GitHub sandbox for the DPDK community

Marc Sune marc.sune at bisdn.de
Wed May 6 23:37:36 CEST 2015

On 06/05/15 23:09, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> [...]
> There is also a patchwork web interface to ease browsing patches submitted
> to the mailing list. It provides a view on patches status and agregate
> discussions on specific patches. Some improvements are in progress:
> 	http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.patchwork/1162
> 	https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/patchwork/2015-May/001310.html
>
> There are 3 types of git repositories (http://dpdk.org/browse):
>    - the main DPDK tree
>    - subtrees, created on request or external, may help to scale by providing
>      patches ready for merge in the main tree
>    - side trees, created on request, e.g. dts or pktgen
> Do not hesitate to request creation of a new tree, it's open.
> Intel has requested some small subtrees which seems not very useful. We may
> try to organize some new subtrees for bigger areas, which would take care
> of many sections of the MAINTAINERS file. Maybe that some dedicated mailing
> lists should be created. These mailing lists and subtrees may be hosted on
> dpdk.org or elsewhere if everybody agree.
>
> There was no bug tracker initially installed to avoid fragmentation with
> mailing-list discussions. Now that traffic is becoming huge, it appears to be
> a new priority.
>
> Last point in the workflow status: tests and continuous integration.
> It's a complicated topic, especially because DPDK requires some expensive
> infrastructure for the tests. Some people are working on it at Intel and
> 6WIND, so I guess we will have a public discussion in the coming weeks.
>
> After carefully reading previous comments about github hosting, I would like
> to sort pros/cons below.
> Invalidated Pro:
> - web pages system: already possible without GitHub
> - popularity: why being hosted on GitHub would improve the visibility?
> Pros:
> - less complicated command lines
> - same view for everyone (independent of MUA features)
> - more code context when reading patches
> - integrated bug tracker
> Cons:
> - full feature usage implies everybody is forced to use it
> - fragmentation between online data and mailing list
> - discussions are not threaded, long discussions not clear
> - editing in browser may be limited
> - no offline access
> - difficult to follow history as we rely on user repositories which may change
> - GitHub (commercial service) is watching us
> - how to leave and migrate data from GitHub?
> - administration issues out of control (see snapshot of today's downtime)
>
> I did an abuse report for https://github.com/dpdk in case we want to use this
> GitHub account.
> My opinion is that GitHub offers some nice tools and toys but some people
> won't be comfortable with it.
> It may be reasonable to try some features without forcing everyone to migrate,
> while keeping consistency between every contributors.
> Making some tests in a sandbox seems to be a good approach.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. As the official "maintainer" of
DPDK, and I think strongly in favour of the current mail-based workflow,
I would like to know how would you see a hybrid approach like:

http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-May/017283.html

if we would manage to make it work reliably.

Best
Marc