[dpdk-dev] Beyond DPDK 2.0

Avi Kivity avi at cloudius-systems.com
Thu May 7 16:02:22 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 6:11 PM, O'Driscoll, Tim <tim.o'driscoll at intel.com>
wrote:

> Does anybody have any input or comments on this?

One problem we've seen with dpdk is that it is a framework, not a library:
it wants to create threads, manage memory, and generally take over.  This
is a problem for us, as we are writing a framework (seastar, [1]) and need
to create threads, manage memory, and generally take over ourselves.

Perhaps dpdk can be split into two layers, a library layer that only
provides mechanisms, and a framework layer that glues together those
mechanisms and applies a policy, trading in generality for ease of use.

[1] http://seastar-project.org