[dpdk-dev] ixgbevf TX hang

Yotam Rubin yotam at weka.io
Tue May 12 12:32:46 CEST 2015

Hello,

   We're using dpdk with with the ixgbevf driver on an AWS (Xen hypervisor)
instance. We use the NIC to drive jumbo packets at high throughput.
Occasionally, the vf experiences a non-recoverable TX hang. Specifically,
all descriptors in the TX queue are used up - and remain in this state. All
descriptors' writeback status don't have the IXGBE_TXD_STAT_DD set.

After resetting the port, TX no longer hangs.

We're using the suggested TX conf for the 82599:

static struct rte_eth_txconf tx_conf = {
        .tx_thresh = {
                .pthresh = 36,  /* Ring prefetch threshold */
                .hthresh = 0,   /* Ring host threshold */
                .wthresh = 0,   /* Ring writeback threshold */
        },
        .tx_free_thresh = 0,    /* Use PMD default values */
        .tx_rs_thresh = 0,    /* Use PMD default values */
};

Any ideas?

Thanks,
  Yotam