[dpdk-dev] Too verbose PMD init logs - intended or not?

Joongi Kim joongi at an.kaist.ac.kr
Wed May 13 10:47:34 CEST 2015

Hello,
I found that the following commit and post are conflicting with each other:
1)
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=23f91f32f2b119f1376488d87be2b80b078a945e
2) http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-April/016361.html
Is there a consensus on how verbose PMD init processes should be?
(i.e., Is this an intended behavior or a bug?)

I'd like to see if my ports are initialized, but not what memory addresses
they are attached for each ring. (Most of PMD init logs are only useful
when debugging!)

My configuration (.config) says CONFIG_RTE_LIBRTE_IXGBE_DEBUG_INIT=n and my
program explicitly set the debug level to INFO by calling
rte_set_log_level(), but *still* the ixgbe pmd generates a lot of
PMD_INIT_LOG(DEBUG, ...) messages.
For workaround, I'm currently roll-backing the commit 23f91f3 manually for
my build and then it becomes silent.

Thanks,
Joongi