[dpdk-dev] Technical Steering Committee (TSC)

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Wed May 20 21:04:01 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 05/14/2015 01:55 PM, O'Driscoll, Tim wrote:
> At Tuesday's Beyond DPDK 2.0 call, one topic we discussed was decision making and whether we need a Technical Steering Committee (TSC). As a follow-up to that discussion, I'd like to propose that we create a TSC for DPDK to guide the long-term strategic direction of the project.

As others have said, I think a TSC can have value, more as the "guardian
of the roadmap", a place to engage to set high level goals and
priorities for the project. And as Neil and Thomas said, I also agree
that it does not make sense for the TSC to get involved in the
day-to-day of the project (patch review, for example).

There is a danger with TSCs that you end up with "design by committee" -
but I think that is a risk that can be mitigated by limiting the scope.

In terms of membership: I do think it's important to have the voice of
users in the technical community, but I agree with Stephen that the TSC
would not be the appropriate forum for that.

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338