[dpdk-dev] DPDK LPM table thread safety

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Fri May 22 15:55:01 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 05:51:34PM +0000, Shyam Sundar Govindaraj wrote:
> Hi
>
>   I am interested in DPDK LPM implementation. I understand the high performance of this LPM table but, when it comes to multithreaded application, I read the following safety issue in DPDK documentation. I understand that multithread read and multithread write are not possible without locking table. But I want to know if single thread write and multithread read are possible with your implementation without any locking mechanism.

For the LPM library, I don't believe any such guarantees are made about that case.
However, assuming LPM for IPv4 here, the individual LPM entries are only 16-bits
in size, and, from what I see in the code, are always being assigned as a
single entry, so the code may indeed by multi-reader, single-writer safe.
Unfortunately, it would need a proper examination of the code to fully verify this -
my quick re-reading of the code is not enough :-), and it may also depend, to some
extent on the compiler used, whether the compiler converts the assignment of one
16-bit structure to another 16-bit structure as a field-by-field copy, or as a
single copy of a uint16_t type.

Not a very satisfactory answer, I'm afraid, but if you do look at this further,
please let us know the result of your investigation. It would be good to get
the rte_lpm library made/confirmed thread-safe.

Regards,
/Bruce