[dpdk-dev] Packet Cloning

Kyle Larose eomereadig at gmail.com
Thu May 28 17:38:41 CEST 2015

I'm fairly new to dpdk, so I may be completely out to lunch on this, but
here's an idea to possibly improve performance compared to a straight copy
of the entire packet. If this idea makes sense, perhaps it could be added
to the mbuf library as an extension of the clone functionality?

If you are only modifying the headers (say the Ethernet header), is it
possible to make a copy of only the first N bytes (say 32 bytes)?

For example, you make two new "main" mbufs, which contain duplicate
metadata, and a copy of the first 32 bytes of the packet. Call them A and
B. Have both A and B chain to the original mbuf (call it O), which is
reference counted as with the normal clone functionality. Then, you adjust
the O such that its start data is 32 bytes into the packet.

When you transmit A, it will send its own copy of the 32 bytes, plus the
unaltered remaining data contained in O. A will be freed, and the refcount
of O decremented. When you transmit B, it will work the same as with the
previous one, except that when the refcount on O is decremented, it reaches
zero and it is freed as well.

I'm not sure if this makes sense in all cases (for example, maybe it's just
faster to allocate separate mbufs for 64-byte packets). Perhaps that could
also be handled transparently underneath the hood.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kyle