[dpdk-dev] pkg-config .pc file for dpdk

Nicholas Brown nickbroon+dpdk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:34:28 CET 2015

Hi,

I've found a couple of mentions of this in the past:
http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2014-January/001136.html
(discussing having to dpdk app makefiles and having to pass defines as
compiler args)
and:
http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/4263/
(discussing providing a .pc for apps to use)

Is anyone working on having dpdk generate a pkg-config .pc file?

For the project I work on, using autotools, to be able to easily use the
PKG_CHECK_MODULES() macro I hacked a simple static .pc file that met my
needs:

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: dpdk
Version: 2.0
Libs: -L${libdir} -ldpdk
Cflags: -I${includedir}/dpdk -include
$dpdk_prefix/include/dpdk/rte_config.h -DRTE_MACHINE_CPUFLAG_SSE
-DRTE_MACHINE_CPUFLAG_SSE2 -DRTE_MACHINE_CPUFLAG_SSE3
-DRTE_MACHINE_CPUFLAG_SSSE3
-DRTE_COMPILE_TIME_CPUFLAGS=RTE_CPUFLAG_SSE,RTE_CPUFLAG_SSE2
,RTE_CPUFLAG_SSE3,RTE_CPUFLAG_SSSE3 -m64 -march=core2

Clearly this not ideal, and it would be better if dpdk generated and
installed a .pc file based build configuration used to generate the
library.

Anyone familiar with dpdk makefiles who can detail what might be needed
to generate the .pc from them?

Cheers,
Nick