[dpdk-dev] How can I calculate/estimate pps(packet per seocond) and bps(bit per second) in DPDK pktg

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Tue Nov 3 23:05:31 CET 2015

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:30:41 +0000
"Van Haaren, Harry" <harry.van.haaren at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> > From: dev [mailto:dev-bounces at dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Wiles, Keith
> <snip>
> > Hmm, I just noticed I did not include the FCS bytes. Does the NIC include FCS bytes in the
> > counters? Need to verify that one and if not then it becomes a bit more complex.
>
> The Intel NICs count packet sizes inclusive of CRC / FCS, from eg the ixgbe/82599 datasheet:
> "This register includes bytes received in a packet from the <Destination Address> field through the <CRC> field, inclusively."
>
> -Harry

IMHO this is a bug. Other drivers don't include the CRC, and the Intel driver
only includes CRC in count for one direction, and depends on value of stripping flag.

I sent a patch to fix this because our customers didn't like it when Rx != Tx bytes
but there was somebody who liked including CRC.

It really is a Cisco versus the world thing. Juniper/Linux/BSD all do NOT include
CRC in counters and therefore that is what should be done.