[dpdk-dev] Bonding Active/Backup mode

Yaacov Hazan yaacovh at mellanox.com
Sun Nov 8 14:23:47 CET 2015

Hi,

I starting to check the bonding mode, and have a few questions about the Active - Backup mode (1).

According to DPDK documentation and that is also what I saw in bond_pmd code. When we configure bond to Active/Backup mode, the bond port gets his MAC from the primary MAC, and the backup slave stay with his original MAC.
When the Active slave go down and the backup slave become (the newly) Active there isn't any change in the MAC address of the bond or the newly Active.
So the primary (active) MAC address is different form the Bond MAC address?
Also, why packets that sent to specific MAC address (the formerly primary salve) will arrived to the new backup (that become primary and active) port if he stay with his original MAC address (not in promiscuous mode).

Another thing that also related is, when you configure promiscuous it is applied only on the Active slave and not on the Backup salve. So the bond get packets with all MAC address (promiscuous mode).
But after the Active slave go down, the code does not reconfigured the promiscuous mode on the new Active slave? So after the Active fall we maybe gets packets on the Backup slave but we are not in promiscuous mode anymore.

Maybe I missed something.. I'll be happy to get some explanation.

Thanks,
Yaacov.