[dpdk-dev] Making rte_eal_pci_probe() in rte_eal_init() optional?

Roger B. Melton rmelton at cisco.com
Fri Nov 13 13:07:00 CET 2015

Hi David,

On 11/13/15 3:49 AM, David Marchand wrote:
> Hello Roger,
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Roger B Melton <rmelton at cisco.com
> <mailto:rmelton at cisco.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi folks,
>
>     With the addition of hot plug support we have been migrating away
>     from device discovery and attach at initialization time to a model
>     where it is controlled from a separate process.  The separate
>     process manages the binding of devices to UIO and instructs the
>     DPDK process when to attach.  One of the problems we stumbled onto
>     was that if our control process discovered devices and bound them
>     to UIO before our DPDK process started, then rte_eal_init() would
>     discover and attach to those devices via the rte_eal_pci_probe()
>     invocation. This caused problems later on when when our control
>     process, instructed our DPDK process to attach to a device.
>
>     There are a number of ways we could address this, but the simplest
>     is to prevent the rte_eal_pci_probe() at rte_eal_init() time.  In
>     our model we will never need it and I suspect others may also be
>     in that boat.
>
>     What are your thoughts on adding an argument to instruct
>     rte_eal_init() to skip the PCI probe?
>

> Did you try the --no-pci option ?
> It avoids the initial sysfs scan, so with no pci device, the initial
> pci_probe should do nothing.
>
> Attaching devices later will trigger this sysfs scan and only probe
> the requested device.
> I am not totally happy with the way it is done right now, but I think
> this should work for you.

I saw it, but I was so caught up in the probe that I didn't consider
that delaying the scan until attach time might solve the problem.

I'll give it shot.  Thanks for pointing it out David.

Regards,
-Roger

> --
> David Marchand

|Roger B. Melton                |          |      Cisco Systems      |
|CPP Software                  :|:        :|:     7100 Kit Creek Rd  |
|+1.919.476.2332 phone        :|||:      :|||:    RTP, NC 27709-4987 |
|+1.919.392.1094 fax       .:|||||||:..:|||||||:. rmelton at cisco.com  |
| This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the|
| sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution  |
| or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the |
| intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient),   |
| please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of  |
| this message.                                                      |
| For corporate legal information go to:                             |
| http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html |