[dpdk-dev] Making rte_eal_pci_probe() in rte_eal_init() optional?

David Marchand david.marchand at 6wind.com
Mon Nov 16 10:46:30 CET 2015

Hello Roger,

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 3:45 PM, Roger B. Melton <rmelton at cisco.com> wrote:

> I like the "-b all" and "-w none" idea, but I think it might be
> complicated to implement it the way we would need it to work.  The existing
> -b and -w options  persist for the duration of the application, and we
> would need the "-b all"/"-w none" to persists only through rte_eal_init()
> time.  Otherwise our attempt to to attach a device at a later time would be
> blocked by the option.

I agree, the black/white lists should only apply to initial scan.
I forgot about this problem ...
I had started some cleanup in the pci scan / attach code but this is too
late for 2.2, I will post this in the next merge window.

Wouldn't it be simpler to have an option to disable the rte_eal_init() time
> the probe.  Would that address the issue with VFIO, prevent automatically
> attaching to devices while permitting on demand attach?

I suppose we can do this yes (I think Thomas once proposed off-list an
option like --no-pci-scan).
Do you think you can send a patch ?

--
David Marchand