[dpdk-dev] difficulty w/ RTE_NEXT_ABI

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Sun Nov 22 21:59:30 CET 2015

2015-11-21 19:25, Matthew Hall:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 11:44:20AM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> > The new mbuf provides packet type instead of flags.
> > So the processing in this function is changed and the variable name is
> > different to reflect this.
>
> But the data type of the variable is the same, and this is an internal
> always_inline function.

It is an example application using a mbuf feature which changes depending of
CONFIG_RTE_NEXT_ABI. The ABI is in the mbuf library not in the app.
The header of the app function is changed only for the variable name because
the semantic is changed.

> So again I am confused what advantage we got from RTE_NEXT_ABI here, and how
> you have multiple copies of RTE_NEXT_ABI on a single symbol when it is a
> binary variable.

I don't understand what is not clear here.

> This doesn't really answer the bigger question about the reasoning.

Probably because you don't ask clearly your question.
Please check the code and your question again.
Maybe that this reading may help: doc/guides/contributing/versioning.rst