[dpdk-dev] no hugepage with UIO poll-mode driver

Sergio Gonzalez Monroy sergio.gonzalez.monroy at intel.com
Wed Nov 25 14:44:12 CET 2015

On 25/11/2015 13:22, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 2015-11-25 12:02, Bruce Richardson:
>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 12:03:05PM +0100, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>>> 2015-11-25 11:00, Bruce Richardson:

>>> rte_mem_virt2phy() does not use memseg.phys_addr but /proc/self/pagemap:
>>>
>>>      /*
>>>       * the pfn (page frame number) are bits 0-54 (see
>>>       * pagemap.txt in linux Documentation)
>>>       */
>>>      physaddr = ((page & 0x7fffffffffffffULL) * page_size)
>>>          + ((unsigned long)virtaddr % page_size);
>>>
>> Yes, you are right. I was not aware that that function was used as part of the
>> mempool init, but now I see that "rte_mempool_virt2phy()" does indeed call that
>> function if hugepages are disabled, so my bad.
> Do you think we could move --no-huge in the main section (not only for testing)?
Hi,

I think the main issue is going to be the HW descriptors queues.
AFAIK drivers now call rte_eth_dma_zone_reserve, which is basically a
wrapper around
rte_memzone_reserve, to get a chunk of phys memory, and in the case of
--no-huge is
not going to be really phys contiguous.

Ideally we would move and expand the functionality of dma_zone reserve
API to the EAL,
so we could detect what page size we have and set the boundary for such
page size.
dma_zone_reserve does something similar to work on Xen target by
reserving memzones
on 2MB boundary.

Sergio