[dpdk-dev] Fwd: port-queue-process

De Lara Guarch, Pablo pablo.de.lara.guarch at intel.com
Sun Nov 29 21:43:59 CET 2015

Hi,

What do you mean with sources? Are you getting all packets in the same port, right?

If so, you can identify the sources by the differences between packets, such as the L2, L3… headers.

It looks like you want to add rules dynamically, so at first you don’t know what your sources are,

but as you get packets from different sources, you can assign them to different cores.

In that case, yes, you could see what queues you used so far, and assign it to a queue that is not being used,

but that depends on what the core is going to do with that flow (from a source).

I mean, if you are going to run the same code for all packets, but in different cores,

then probably something like RSS can work for you, but if the code is going to be different

depending on the source, then you need to know in advance these sources

and program flow director accordingly.

> One more thing, suppose if DPDK app is getting packet from one single

> source and that source is handling 10 different source? In that case how we

> make diffenence?

In this case, I guess your worry is that you would have same L2 header for all sources?

As long as you can identify your source in any field of the packet (probably L3 header),

it doesn’t matter if you are in the first scenario or this one.

Pablo