[dpdk-dev] Having troubles binding an SR-IOV VF to uio_pci_generic on Amazon instance

Vincent JARDIN vincent.jardin at 6wind.com
Thu Oct 1 11:42:23 CEST 2015

On 01/10/2015 11:22, Avi Kivity wrote:
>> As far as I could see, without this kind of motivation, people do not
>> even want to try.
>
> You are mistaken.  The problem is a lot harder than you think.
>
> People didn't go and write userspace drivers because they were lazy.
> They wrote them because there was no other way.

I disagree, it is possible to write a 'partial' userspace driver.

Here it is an example:
   http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tree/drivers/net/mlx4

It benefits of the kernel's capabilities while the userland manages only
the IOs.

There were some tentative to get it for other (older) drivers, named
'bifurcated drivers', but it is stalled.

best regards,
   Vincent