[dpdk-dev] Having troubles binding an SR-IOV VF to uio_pci_generic on Amazon instance

Avi Kivity avi at scylladb.com
Thu Oct 1 11:53:14 CEST 2015

On 10/01/2015 12:42 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 12:22:46PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>> even when they are some users
>> prefer to avoid the performance penalty.
> I don't think there's a measureable penalty from passing through the
> IOMMU, as long as mappings are mostly static (i.e. iommu=pt).  I sure
> never saw any numbers that show such.

Maybe not.  But again, virtualized setups will not have a guest iommu
and therefore can't use it; and those happen to be exactly the setups
you're blocking.

Non-virtualized setups have an iommu available, but they can also use
pci_uio_generic without patching if they like.

The virtualized setups have no other option; you're leaving them out in
the cold.