[dpdk-dev] rte_eal_init() alternative?

Montorsi, Francesco fmontorsi at empirix.com
Fri Oct 9 12:03:10 CEST 2015

Hi Panu,

Correct, sorry. I'm attaching it now.

> > Note that the attached patch exposes also a way to skip the argv/argc
> > configuration process by directly providing a populated configuration
> > structure...
> > Let me know what you think about it (the patch is just a draft and
> > needs more work).
>
> Can't comment on what I've not seen, but based on comments seen on this
> list, having an alternative way to initialize with structures would be welcomed
> by many. The downside is that those structures will need to be exposed in
> the API forever which means any changes there are subject to the ABI
> process.

Perhaps the init function taking a structure could be an exception for ABI changes... i.e., the format of the configuration is not garantueed to stay the same between different versions, and applications using a shared build of DPDK libraries must avoid using the configuration structure... would that be a possible solution?

Thanks,
Francesco