[dpdk-dev] Question about unsupported transceivers

Alexander Duyck alexander.duyck at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 17:30:28 CEST 2015

On 10/15/2015 07:46 AM, Alex Forster wrote:
> On 10/13/15, 4:34 PM, "Alexander Duyck" <alexander.duyck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you are using Intel's out-of-tree ixgbe driver I believe the module
>> parameters are comma separated with one index per port.  So if you have
>> two ports you should be passing "allow_unsupported_sfp=1,1", and for 4
>> you would need four '1's.
>
> This seemed very promising. I compiled and installed the out of tree ixgbe
> driver and set the option in /etc/modprobe.d/ixgbe.conf. dmesg shows all
> eight "allow_unsupported_sfp enabled" messages but the last four ports
> still error out with the unsupported SFP message when running the tests.
>
> Before I start arbitrarily trying to patch out parts of the SFP
> verification code in ixgbe, are there any other tips I should know?

Can you send me the command you used to load the module, and the exact
number of ixgbe ports you have in the system?  With that I could then
verify that the command was entered correctly as it is possible there
could still be an issue in the way the command was entered.

One other possibility is that when the driver loads each load counts as
an instance in the module parameter array.  So if for example you unbind
the driver on one port and then later rebind it you will have consumed
one of the values in the array.  Do it enough times and you exceed the
bounds of the array as you entered it and it will simply use the default
value of 0.

Also the output of "ethtool -i <ethX>" would be useful to verify that
you have the out-of-tree driver loaded and not the in kernel.

- Alex