[dpdk-dev] Question about unsupported transceivers

Alexander Duyck alexander.duyck at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 20:00:08 CEST 2015

On 10/15/2015 10:13 AM, Alex Forster wrote:
> On 10/15/15, 12:17 PM, "Alexander Duyck" <alexander.duyck at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10/15/2015 08:43 AM, Alex Forster wrote:

>>> Er, let me try that again.
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/AlexForster/f5372c5b60153d278089
>>>

>>> Alex Forster
>>>

>> It looks like you are probably seeing interfaces be unbound and then
>> rebound.  As such you are likely pushing things outside of the array
>> boundary.  One solution might just be to at more ",1"s if you are only
>> going to be doing this kind of thing at boot up.  The upper limit for
>> the array is 32 entries so as long as you only are setting this up once
>> you could probably get away with that.
>>
>> An alternative would be to modify the definition of the parameter in
>> ixgbe_param.c.  If you look through the file you should fine several
>> likes like below:
>> 	struct ixgbe_option opt = {
>> 			.type = enable_option,
>> 			.name = "allow_unsupported_sfp",
>> 			.err  = "defaulting to Disabled",
>> 			.def  = OPTION_DISABLED
>> 		};
>>
>> If you modify the .def value to "OPTION_ENABLED", and then rebuild and
>> reinstall your driver you should be able have it install without any
>> issues.
>>
>> - Alex
>>
> Yeah, I've had roughly the same thought process since you mentioned the
> args array. My first idea was "maybe the driver can't fit all of my 1's"
> but I saw it was defined at 32. Then I decided to just patch the whole
> enable_unsupported_sfp option out
> https://gist.github.com/AlexForster/112fd822704caf804849 but I'm still
> failing.

Your changes are a bit over-kill and actually take things in the wrong
direction.  By commenting out the whole allow_unsupported_sfp block you
are disabling it by default.  Remember the module parameter allows it,
by removing it there is no way to enable the feature.

Like I mentioned in my previous email just take a look at replacing the
"OPTION_DISABLED" value with "OPTION_ENABLED" in the .def part of the
structure.  After that you won't need to pass the module parameter as it
will always be enabled by default.

- Alex