[dpdk-dev] Release of Packet Journey

Nikita Kozlov nikita at gandi.net
Thu Oct 29 20:53:41 CET 2015

Hello,

We have opensourced our dpdk-based project, Packet Journey
https://github.com/Gandi/packet-journey .

Packet Journey is a combinationof Linux RT_NETLINK and severalparts
ofDPDK (rte_kni, rte_lpm, rte_acl, rte_cmdline) and is intended to
serveas an edge router.

Our use case is:
- pktj starts several forwarding threads and a KNI thread per external port
- pktj launches a script which configures the KNI interface (MAC, IP,
VLAN) and launches a BGP daemon
- the host receives routes from the BGP daemon
- the BGP daemon injects the routes in Linux
- pktj receives the routes from NETLINK and put them in LPM in our
"control" threads
- pktj forwards packets to the KNI if the packets are
  - for the KNI IP or
  - if the neighbor is not known yet
  - if ttl reaches 0
- pktj filters packets if they match an ACLor if they exceed the rate
limit, kni output is also rate-limited
- pktj forwards packetsdirectly from the RXqueue to the TXqueue if the
neighbor is known

--
Nikita