[dpdk-dev] libdpdk upstream changes for ecosystem best practices

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Wed Sep 2 18:01:25 CEST 2015

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 16:18:33 +0200
Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2015-09-02 14:49, Robie Basak:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We’re looking at packaging DPDK in Ubuntu. We’d like to discuss upstream
>
> Nice

This matches what we do internally. I was heading towards making this
a real Debian package. Since Debian is more free and is a superset
of Ubuntu.

> > changes to better integrate DPDK into Linux distributions. Here’s a
> > summary of what we need:
> >
> >  1) Define one library ABI (soname and sover) that we can use instead of the
> >     split build.
> >
> >  2) Fix #includes so we don't have to include config.h
> >
> >  3) Put headers into /usr/include/dpdk instead of /usr/include
> >
> > You can see our current packaging progress at
> > https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-server/dpdk/log/?h=ubuntu-wily and a
>
> Thanks for sharing

I have made basically the same decisions. Target is /usr/include/dpdk
and the library version comes from rte config. It seems more logical
to make the library shared object version equal the major version
of DPDK (ie 2) rather than having shared object and source versions
diverge.

Just updating to 2.1 packaging now, will send patches.