[dpdk-dev] Poor SRIOV performance with ESXi Linux guest

Ale Mansoor mansooraa at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:02:17 CEST 2015

Thank you for your input, earlier on this same ESXi server another similar guest was able to run the Kernel mode ixgbevf driver and push several hundred kilo packets per second via the kernel mode driver.

I am trying to get my hands on a second similar physical system for comparison, but likely the hardware and ESXi SRIOV VF mapping into the guest is not the issue.

Are there any Kernel options or DPDK options that may influence performance so significantly under ESXi ?

I used the tools/setup.sh script under DPDK version 2.1 for building and setting up my DPDK environment.

My Kernel UIO settings are below:

cat /boot/config-3.19.8-100.fc20.x86_64 |grep -i uio
CONFIG_HID_HUION=m
CONFIG_UIO=m
CONFIG_UIO_CIF=m
# CONFIG_UIO_PDRV_GENIRQ is not set