[dpdk-dev] vhost compliant virtio based networking interface in container

Xie, Huawei huawei.xie at intel.com
Mon Sep 7 07:54:13 CEST 2015

On 8/26/2015 5:23 PM, Tetsuya Mukawa wrote:
> [...]
>>> messages n userspace?
>> The device simulation is  a library running in user space in container.
>> It is linked with DPDK app. It creates pseudo buses and virtio-net PCI
>> devices.
>> The virtio-container-PMD configures the virtio-net pseudo devices
>> through IOAPI provided by the device simulation rather than IO
>> instructions as in KVM.
>> Why we use device simulation?
>> We could create other virtio devices in container, and provide an common
>> way to talk to vhost-xx module.
> Thanks for explanation.
> At first reading, I thought the difference between approach1 and
> approach2 is whether we need to implement a new kernel module, or not.
> But I understand how you implemented.
>
> Please let me explain our design more.
> We might use a kind of similar approach to handle a pseudo virtio-net
> device in DPDK.
> (Anyway, we haven't finished implementing yet, this overview might have
> some technical problems)
>
> Step1. Separate virtio-net and vhost-user socket related code from QEMU,
> then implement it as a separated program.
> The program also has below features.
>  - Create a directory that contains almost same files like
> /sys/bus/pci/device/<pci address>/*
>    (To scan these file located on outside sysfs, we need to fix EAL)
>  - This dummy device is driven by dummy-virtio-net-driver. This name is
> specified by '<pci addr>/driver' file.
>  - Create a shared file that represents pci configuration space, then
> mmap it, also specify the path in '<pci addr>/resource_path'
>
> The program will be GPL, but it will be like a bridge on the shared
> memory between virtio-net PMD and DPDK vhost backend.
> Actually, It will work under virtio-net PMD, but we don't need to link it.
> So I guess we don't have GPL license issue.
>
> Step2. Fix pci scan code of EAL to scan dummy devices.
>  - To scan above files, extend pci_scan() of EAL.
>
> Step3. Add a new kdrv type to EAL.
>  - To handle the 'dummy-virtio-net-driver', add a new kdrv type to EAL.
>
> Step4. Implement pci_dummy_virtio_net_map/unmap().
>  - It will have almost same functionality like pci_uio_map(), but for
> dummy virtio-net device.
>  - The dummy device will be mmaped using a path specified in '<pci
> addr>/resource_path'.
>
> Step5. Add a new compile option for virtio-net device to replace IO
> functions.
>  - The IO functions of virtio-net PMD will be replaced by read() and
> write() to access to the shared memory.
>  - Add notification mechanism to IO functions. This will be used when
> write() to the shared memory is done.
>  (Not sure exactly, but probably we need it)
>
> Does it make sense?
> I guess Step1&2 is different from your approach, but the rest might be
> similar.
>
> Actually, we just need sysfs entries for a virtio-net dummy device, but
> so far, I don't have a fine way to register them from user space without
Tetsuya:
I don't quite get the details. Who will create those sysfs entries? A
kernel module right?
The virtio-net is configured through read/write to sharing
memory(between host and guest), right?
Where is shared vring created and shared memory created, on shared huge
page between host and guest?
Who will talk to dpdkvhost?
> This is because I need to change pci_scan() also.
>
> It seems you have implemented a virtio-net pseudo device as BSD license.
> If so, this kind of PMD would be nice to use it.
Currently it is based on native linux kvm tool.
> In the case that it takes much time to implement some lost
> functionalities like interrupt mode, using QEMU code might be an one of
> options.
For interrupt mode, i plan to use eventfd for sleep/wake, have not tried
yet.
> Anyway, we just need a fine virtual NIC between containers and host.
> So we don't hold to our approach and implementation.

Do you have comments to my implementation?
We could publish the version without the device framework first for
reference.

> Thanks,
> Tetsuya

>>> In addition above, we might consider "namespace" kernel functionality.
>>> Technically, it would not be a big problem, but related with security.
>>> So it would be nice to take account.
>> There is no namespace concept here because we don't generate kernel
>> netdev devices. It might be usefull if we could extend our work to
>> support kernel netdev interface and assign to container's namespace.
Yes, it would be great if we could extend this to support both kernel
networking and user space networking.
No progress so far.

>>> Regards,