[dpdk-dev] Recommended method of using DPDK inside a Vmware ESXi guest ?

Ale Mansoor mansooraa at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 9 01:43:38 CEST 2015

Hi,
I am trying to use dpdk inside a Vmware 6.0 ESXi guest and see two possible approaches to achieving this:
Use vmxnet3-usermap with PMD Use igb_uio with SRIOV passthrough from ESXi host to guest
My guest systems are either Fedora Linux FC20 or Ubuntu 15.04 instances with 8 vCpu's and 8 Gigs of memory.
When using l2fwd example using igb_uio, the performance numbers I got were very low (<100 PPS) and when I tried using vmxnet3-usermap from dpdk.org, it does not even seem to compile under the Linux 3.x Kernel.
My system is a HP DL380 G8 platform with dual Xeon 2670 CPU's and 64 Gb physical memory and Intel 82599 NIC card running ESXi 6.0
Do I need to enable any additional Kernel build or boot options, based on some posts here, appears ESXi does not have emulated IOMMU.
Thanks in advance for your help.
-Ale Mansoor