[dpdk-dev] Random packet drops with ip_pipeline on R730.

husainee husainee.plumber at nevisnetworks.com
Wed Sep 9 11:47:04 CEST 2015

Hi Cristian
PFA the config file.

I am sending packets from port0 and receiving on port1.

By random packet drops I mean, on every run the number of packets
dropped is not same. Here are some results as below.

Frame sent rate 1488095.2 fps, 64Byte packets (100% of 1000Mbps)
Run1- 0.0098% (20-22 Million Packets)
Run2- 0.021% (20-22 Million Packets)
Run3- 0.0091% (20-22 Million Packets)

Frame rate 744047.62 fps, 64 Byte packets, (50% of 1000Mbps)
Run1- 0.0047% (20-22 Million Packets)
Run2- 0.0040% (20-22 Million Packets)
Run3- 0.0040% (20-22 Million Packets)

Frame rate 148809.52 fps, 64 Byte packets,(10% of 1000Mbps)
Run1- 0 (20-22 Million Packets)
Run2- 0 (20-22 Million Packets)
Run3- 0 (20-22 Million Packets)

Following are the hw nic setting differences btw ip_pipeline and l2fwd app.

parameter
	ip_pipeline
	l2fwd
jumbo frame
	1
	0
hw_ip_checksum
	1
	0
rx_conf. wthresh
	4
	0
rx_conf.rx_free_thresh
	64
	32
tx_conf.pthresh
	36
	32
burst size
	64
	32

We tried to make the ip_pipeline settings same as l2fwd but no change in
results.

I have not tried with 10GbE . I do not have 10GbE test equipment.

regards
husainee