[dpdk-dev] DPDK 2.2 roadmap

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Thu Sep 10 14:43:59 CEST 2015

2015-09-09 12:56, O'Driscoll, Tim:
> DCB for i40e &X550:  DCB support will be extended to the i40e and X550 NICs.

A patch for DCB on X550 is already applied but the release notes part was forgotten.

> IPsec Sample App:  A sample application will be provided to show how the
> cryptodev library can be used to implement IPsec. This will be based on
> the NetBSD IPsec implementation.

For each API, it is really interesting to have some unit tests and some
examples to show how it should be used. However adding an IPsec stack looks
to be beyond the need of an API example. It may be big and difficult to
maintain when updating DPDK.
Why not spawn a new project here: http://dpdk.org/browse/ ?

I have the feeling we should think it as an unification work to reduce
differences between physical and virtual devices handling.
Probably it will have to be continued during 2.3 cycle.

> Vhost Multi-Queue Support:  The vhost-user library will be updated to provide multi-queue support in the host similar to the RSS model so that guest driver may allocate multiple rx/tx queues which then may be used to load balance between cores. See http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-August/022758.html for more details.

Does it require a patch on Qemu?

> Config Granularity of RSS for i40e:  All RSS hash and filter configurations for IPv4/v6, TCP/UDP, GRE, etc will be implemented for i40e. This includes support for QinQ and tunneled packets.

What is missing in i40e RSS/filtering?

> I40e 32-bit GRE Keys:  Both 24 and 32 bit keys for GRE will be supported for i40e.

Could you please give more details?

> X550 Enhancements:  Support VF TSO, more Entries in RSS and per VF RSS, network overlay support with flow director for X550.

Could you please give more details on "network overlay support with flow director"?

Thanks for sharing your plan