[dpdk-dev] Unlinking hugepage backing file after initialiation

Xie, Huawei huawei.xie at intel.com
Tue Sep 29 04:37:45 CEST 2015

On 9/29/2015 8:04 AM, shesha Sreenivasamurthy (shesha) wrote:
> Hello,
> As of DPDK2.1, backing files are created in hugetablefs during mapping (in eal_memory.c::rte_eal_hugepage_init()) and these files are not cleaned up (unlinked) after initialization (mmap-ing). This means, when the application crashes or stopped, the memory is still consumed. Therefore, is there any reason not to unlink backing files after initialization ? If no, I will send a patch for the change.
shesha:
You remind me the virtio unexpected crashing issue. DPDK runs in user
space. It is quite possible it dies unexpectedly, either crash or being
killed.
When the dpdk virtio app crashes, it doesn't have a chance to notify
host, so host is still using its memory, backed by guest huge page.
If huge page files are still reserved in hugetlbfs, we have a chance to
recover virtio first, then unlink the huge pages.
Otherwise if the huge pages are allocated by other process, its memory
could be corrupted by host.

Certainly it is not implemented like that for this purpose, but i think
it is a temporary solution for this user space virtio driver issue.

/huawei