[dpdk-dev] DPDK libraries not compiling from source

Wiles, Keith keith.wiles at intel.com
Mon Apr 11 15:23:36 CEST 2016

>Hi all,
>
>I tried compiling DPDK from source using setup.sh script in tools
>directory, but I get this error
>
>[32] Remove KNI module
>[33] Remove hugepage mappings
>
>[34] Exit Script

The way I compile DPDK is this way:

# cd <dpdk directory>
# export RTE_SDK=`pwd`
# export RTE_TARGET=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
# make install T=x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc

Strictly speaking you do not need to set the two variables, but you do need them later for building examples or say pktgen-dpdk.
The last command will give an warning about not being able to install, but that is OK unless you need the files installed. Installing the files are not required if you use the environment variables.

Hope that gets you started. The only concern is the ‘cc’ command not found, which makes me believe you do not have a compiler installed. The Docs do talk about how to install the basic required tools for ubuntu, which is what I am using for the above commands. After getting DPDK to build you need to setup the rest of the system to run DPDK and that is all covered in the Docs.

>Option: 14
>
>/bin/sh: line 1: cc: command not found
>cp: cannot stat
>‘/root/workspace/dpdk/x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc/.config_tmp’: No such file
>or directory
>cp: cannot stat
>‘/root/workspace/dpdk/x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc/.config_tmp’: No such file
>or directory
>make[5]: Nothing to be done for `depdirs'.
>Configuration done
>/root/workspace/dpdk/mk/rte.vars.mk:81: *** RTE_ARCH is not defined.  Stop.
>make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>make[1]: *** [pre_install] Error 2
>make: *** [install] Error 2
> RTE_TARGET exported as x86_64-native-linuxapp-gcc
>
>Then, I set RTE_ARCH=x86_64 manually, but it did not work
>
>please suggest appropriate way to compile DPDK libraries.

Regards,
Keith