[dpdk-dev] ethtool doesnt work on some interface after unbinding dpdk

Gopakumar Choorakkot Edakkunni gopakumar.c.e at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:38:47 CEST 2016

Nothing in dmesg .. The ethtool was just a side-observation, the biggest
problem was that after unbinding from igb_uio and rebinding to igb, if I
follow it up with an /etc/init.d/network restart, that completely hoses the
linux system - anyone trying to open a socket (ifconfig for example) just
hangs. Thats how I started troubleshooting this and happened to see this
ethtool thing along with it, not sure if its related. Also the issue
doesn't happen with one or two interfaces, there needs to be at least five
or six interfaces for this to happen.

The other thing I noticed is that if I put some sleep (2 seconds) between
unbind igb_uio and re-bind igb, the network-restart-hosing-system doesnt
happen, but the ethtool issue still remains

Rgds,
Gopa.