[dpdk-dev] compile error on ubuntu 14.4.4 kernel 4.2.0-27-generic in qemu

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Apr 18 08:23:40 CEST 2016

It is hard for me to spot what exactly is missing, but while it was never
intended for trusty the version we have for xenial should get you going.

# all kind of dependencies
sudo apt-get install build-essential ubuntu-dev-tools debhelper dh-python
dh-systemd doxygen graphviz inkscape libcap-dev libpcap-dev libxen-dev
libxenstore3.0 python python-sphinx texlive-fonts-recommended
texlive-latex-extra
# get the version we currently package for xenial
pull-lp-source dpdk xenial
# run the packaged build which takes care of most enabling/disabling and
such
cd dpdk-2.2.0
./debian/rules build

Also as you need at least some SSE (level depends on your config) which
isn't in the guest by default.
Take a look at this - although I'm not 100% sure how mouch of it works back
on trusty.
https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/serverguide/DPDK.html#dpdk-in-guest

>From there you can derive into whatever you need.
Or just take the build process as your starting point for your own.
On the other hand I encourage you to go to 16.04 and just use the packaged
version if that would suit your needs.

Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd