[dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] DPDK 16.04 link changes cause PMD drivers to not be loaded

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Fri Apr 22 12:08:18 CEST 2016

On 04/21/2016 06:24 PM, Aurojit Panda wrote:

> Thomas Monjalon wrote:
>> 2016-04-21 08:01, Aurojit Panda:
>>> Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I am all for a plugin architecture, I was merely suggesting that you
>>> embed some path infromation at the beginning. Also please note:
>>> (a) This behavior changed recently.
>>
>> What changed recently?
>>
> Change 948fd64befc3726 moved DPDK from building a shared library to
> using LD linker scripts.
>
>>> (b) This change is entirely undocumented, which is why I was reporting
>>> it in the first place.
>>> (c) It is actually quite unintutive, because previously ensuring
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH was correct was all that was required
>>> to get any DPDK application to interact with ports.
>>
>> ?
>> Are you talking about combined library?
> Yes, if you build a shared combined library, PMD drivers are not
> automatically loaded anymore. This implies that programs do not
> enumerate the set of ports on the machine. (Unless CONFIG_EAL_PMD_PATH
> is correctly set to the absolute directory where the built DPDK will live).

>>> That is not a reasonable solution given that it makes it very hard to
>>> track future changes to DPDK without merges.
>>> My alternatives neither break people's abilities to use plugins,
>>> nor do they impact behavior.
>>
>> Please do not hesitate to send some patch to show your solution.
>
> My initial e-mail was sent because I don't entirely understand LD linker
> scripts (the PMD libraries are listed within the built libdpdk.so file),
> so the only patch I can suggest is undoing 948fd64befc3726 in which case
> the behavior as I describe.

Reverting would be counter-productive, the change was introduced for a
reason. Many of them in fact.

Any application wanting to force linkage to plugins always needed to
link them inside --whole-archive section with static or individual
shared libraries, now that is true for the combined shared library as well.

Within DPDK itself it would be easy enough to add an option to force
link-in of the plugins (see the comment about mk/rte.app.mk change), but
not sure we want to have yet another build option. And anything else
still would need to use --whole-archive if they want that behavior.

So yes it's a behavior change for that particular corner which nobody
thought of or brought up during review, and so ended up being
undocumented too.

Like said there are always ways to improve things, once the use-case is
understood, actual examples of how you are deploying DPDK would perhaps
help. One possibility could be attempting to load known plugins from
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but that requires inserting that information somewhere
in the binaries where it currently is not needed.

	- Panu -