[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/4] Include resources in tests

Jan Viktorin viktorin at rehivetech.com
Fri Apr 29 15:11:32 CEST 2016

Hello,

this patch set introduces a mechanism to include a resource (in general a blob)
into the test binary. This allows to make tests less dependent on the target
testing environment. The first use case is testing of PCI bus scan by changing
the hard-coded path (/sys/bus/pci/devices) to something different and provide
a fake tree of devices with the test. It can help with testing of device-tree
parsing as I've proposed in [1] where such mechanism was missing at that time.
I'd like to use such framework for the SoC infra testing as well.

The patch set introduces a struct resource into the app/test. The resource is
generic to include any kind of binary data. The binary data can be created in
C or linked as an object file (created by objcopy). I am not sure where to
place the objcopy logic and how to perform guessing of the objcopy arguments
as they are pretty non-standard.

To include a complex resource (a file hierarchy), the last patch implements
an archive extraction logic. So, it is possible to include a tar archive and
unpack it before a test starts. Any ideas how to do this in a better way are
welcome.

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.networking.dpdk.devel/36545

Regards
Jan Viktorin

---

Jan Viktorin (4):
  app/test: introduce resources for tests
  app/test: support resources externally linked
  app/test: add functions to create files from resources
  app/test: support resources archived by tar

 app/test/Makefile        |  38 +++++++
 app/test/resource.h      |  99 +++++++++++++++++
 app/test/test_resource.c | 132 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 4 files changed, 545 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 app/test/resource.c
 create mode 100644 app/test/resource.h
 create mode 100644 app/test/test_resource.c

--
2.8.0