[dpdk-dev] [RFC 0/4] Use Google Test as DPDK unit test framework

Thomas Monjalon thomas.monjalon at 6wind.com
Tue Aug 2 23:52:24 CEST 2016

2016-08-02 21:37, Declan Doherty:
> I've been trying out using google test as a possible replacement for our unit
> test framework and have put to together this series of patches with help from
> Anatoly as RFC to get peoples thoughts on migrating to google test.

Thanks for exploring new possibilities.

> To facilitate google test this rfc patch set contains build system changes to
> allow C++ to built within the DPDK framework, this intended for unit test code
> only, and to support google test which is a C++ framework. Don't worry, I'm not
> advocating making DPDK a C++ project :)

You are not advocating but the unit test must be written in C++.
I don't think it is a good idea to force people to write and maintain the tests
in a different language than the code it tests.

> Some of the major advantages of google test that I see over continuing to use the
> current test include giving a consist feel to all tests, a powerful test
> execution framework which allow individual test suites or tests to be specified
> from the command line, support for a standard xunit output which can be integrated
> into a continuous build systems, and a very powerful mocking library
> which allows much more control over testing failure conditions.

It would be interesting to better describe in details what is missing currently
and what such a framework can bring.
(I agree there is a huge room for improvements on unit tests)