[dpdk-dev] Ring PMD: why are stats counters atomic?

Mauricio Vásquez mauricio.vasquezbernal at studenti.polito.it
Mon Aug 15 22:41:49 CEST 2016

Finally I have some time to have a look to it.

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Bruce Richardson
<bruce.richardson at intel.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 03:12:10PM +0200, Mauricio Vásquez wrote:
>> Hello Bruce,
>>
>> Although having this support does not harm anyone, I am not convinced that
>> it is useful, mainly because there exists the single-thread limitation in
>> other PMDs. Then, if an application has to use different kind of NICs (i.e,
>> different PMDs) it has to implement the locking strategies. On the other
>> hand, if an application  only uses rte_rings, it could just use the
>> rte_ring library.
>>
>> Thanks, Mauricio V
>>
> I agree.
> If you want, please submit a patch to remove this behaviour and see
> if anyone objects to it. If there are no objections, I have no problem accepting
> the patch.
>
> However, since this is a behaviour change to existing functionality, we may
> need to implement function versionning for this for ABI compatibility. Please
> take that into account when drafting any patch.

Do you think that versioning is required in this case?
If anyone is using a functionality that is not supposed to work in
that way, should we care about it?

I am not against versioning, I just want to know if it is worthy to do.

Regards,

Mauricio V