[dpdk-dev] vhost [query] : support for multiple ports and non VMDQ devices in vhost switch

Yuanhan Liu yuanhan.liu at linux.intel.com
Tue Aug 16 04:56:14 CEST 2016

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 04:42:33PM +0530, Pankaj Chauhan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on an NXP platform where we intend to use user space vhost
> switch (examples/vhost) as backend for VIRTIO devices. But there are two
> limitations in current vhost-switch (examples/vhost)that are restricting my
> use case:
>
> 1. The vhost-switch application is tightly integrated with Intel VMDQ. Since
> my device doesn't have VMDQ i can not use this application directly.

Sorry being late (I was on biz trip last week).

Yes, a vhost example should not do that. We have an internal TODO to
remove it. Actually, to make it optional, and Jianfeng was working on
that. Well, seems that you two have already had some discussions.

> 2. The vhost-switch application supports only one external or physical port
> (non virtio devices), but my requirement is to have multiple physical ports
> and multiple virtio devices.

What are you going to achieve? BTW, have you tried testpmd (with vhost-pmd)?
I'm with impression that it might be a better option to you.

	--yliu