[dpdk-dev] [RFC] Generic flow director/filtering/classification API

John Daley (johndale) johndale at cisco.com
Fri Aug 19 23:13:26 CEST 2016

Hi, this is an old thread, but I'll reply to this instead of the RFC v2 since there is more context here.
Thanks for pushing the new api forward Adrien.
-john daley

The Cisco VIC can support multiple PFs per Ethernet port.  These are called virtual-nics (VNICs). It would be nice to be able to redirect matched Rx packets to another queue on another VNIC.

> > > In Chelsio hardware, all the ports of a device are exposed via
> > > single PF4. There could be many VFs attached to a PF.  Physical NIC
> > > functions are operational on PF4, while VFs can be attached to PFs 0-3.
> > > So, Chelsio hardware doesn't remain tied on a PF-to-Port, one-to-one
> > > mapping assumption.
> > >
> > > There already seems to be a PF meta-item, but it doesn't seem to
> > > accept any "spec" and "mask" field.  Similarly, the VF meta-item
> > > doesn't seem to accept a "mask" field.  We could probably enable
> > > these fields in the PF and VF meta-items to allow configuration.

I would like to see an ID property added to the PF action meta-item, where perhaps a BDF can be specified. This would potentially allow matched Rx packets to be redirected to another VNIC and could be paired with the QUEUE action meta-item to redirect to a specific queue on a VNIC. The PF ID property set to 0 would have the current specified behavior or redirecting to the current PF. Is something like this possible?