[dpdk-dev] Huge ring allocation

Gregory Etelson gregory at weka.io
Thu Aug 25 08:05:47 CEST 2016

Hello,

I have a DPDK process that creates pktmbuf pool with 2_000_000 objects
In CentOS 6.x x86-64, ring size of this pool is 16MB
8 2MB hugepages required to hold such ring.
In some cases, hugepages are too fragmented and there are no 8 contiguous hugepages for the ring.
As the result, the process has enough hugepages memory, but ring allocation fails.
I use a workaround for these cases and create a ring with standard OS allocation routines.
Is there another way I could use unclaimed dpdk hugepages for that allocation ?

Regards,
Gregory