[dpdk-dev] [E1000-devel] Unsupported SFP+ Module - Hardware Initialization Failure -19

Skidmore, Donald C donald.c.skidmore at intel.com
Wed Aug 31 18:28:40 CEST 2016

The error value of -19 means your EEPROM indicates you're NIC doesn't have support for your SFP+ module.  So you're correct this isn't specifically a DPDK issue, the code that verifies this is shared both between the Linux driver as well as DPDK.  There are two possible cases here 1) we recognize the module but it isn't supported or 2) we don't know what the module is.  If it was the first case then for the out of tree linux driver you could use the module parameter "allow_unsupported_sfp" to get around this check.  Of course turning on this option produces the following rather scary log message:

"WARNING: Intel (R) Network Connections are quality tested using Intel (R) Ethernet Optics. Using untested modules is not supported and may cause unstable operation or damage to the module or the adapter. Intel Corporation is not responsible for any harm caused by using untested modules.

Thanks,
-Don Skidmore <donald.c.skidmore at intel.com>