[dpdk-dev] Intent to upstream Atomic Rules net/ark "Arkville" in DPDK 17.05

Ferruh Yigit ferruh.yigit at intel.com
Mon Dec 5 15:10:35 CET 2016

On 12/3/2016 3:14 PM, Shepard Siegel wrote:
> Atomic Rules would like to include our Arkville DPDK PMD net/ark in the
> DPDK 17.05 release.

Welcome to the DPDK community, it is great to see new hardware support.

> We have been watching the recent process of
> Solarflare’s net/sfc upstreaming and we decided it would be too aggressive
> for us to get in on 17.02. Rather than be the last in queue for 17.02, we
> would prefer to be one of the first in the queue for 17.05. This post is
> our statement of that intent.

We already have two new physical PMDs this release: sfc and DPAA2 and a
few virtual ones, it is good for reviewers to have some in 17.05 J

> Arkville is a product from Atomic Rules which is a combination of hardware
> and software. In the DPDK community, the easy way to describe Arkville is
> that it is a line-rate agnostic FPGA-based NIC that does include any
> specific MAC. Arkville is unique in that the design process worked backward
> from the DPDK API/ABI to allow us to design RTL DPDK-aware data movers.
> Arkville’s customers are the small and brave set of users that demand an
> FPGA exist between their MAC ports and their host. A link to a slide deck
> and product preview shown last month at SC16 is at the end of this post.
>

> Although we’ve done substantial testing; we are just now setting up a
> proper DTS environment. Our first course of business is to add two 10 GbE
> ports and make Arkville look like a Fortville X710-DA2. This is strange for
> us because we started out with four 100 GbE ports, and not much else to
> talk to! We are eager to work with merchant 100 GbE ASIC NICs to help bring
> DTS into the 100 GbE realm. But 100 GbE aside, as soon as we see our
> net/ark PMD playing nice in DTS with a Fortville, and the 17.05 aperture
> opens;  we will commence the patch submission process.

You don't have to wait for 17.05 merge window, you can send the patches
with note that it is targeted for 17.05. It is good to send patches as
early as possible.