[dpdk-dev] No packets received if burst is too small in rte_eth_rx_burst

Bruce Richardson bruce.richardson at intel.com
Mon Dec 19 11:25:04 CET 2016

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 11:43:25AM +0100, tom.barbette at ulg.ac.be wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Your comments made me saw the line "PMD: i40e_set_rx_function(): Vector rx enabled, please make sure RX burst size no less than 4 (port=0)."
>
> The problem was probably that I was under this limit... Is there a way to get that limit through a function or something?
>
> With 16.04 I received sometimes 5 or 7 packets with a burst_size of 4 which respects this limit. I see that "[dpdk-dev] net/i40e: fix out-of-bounds writes during vector Rx" fixed that, as the limit was in fact 32 no matter the message.
>
> At the end, what should be the minimal rx burst size? How to find it at runtime for any NIC? I imagine that vector rx will create a problem if I give a burst size of 1 even with a recent DPDK version, right?

Sadly, there doesn't appear to be any way to discover this, and the i40e
driver requires at least a burst size of 4 even with the latest DPDK.
>From i40e_rxtx_vec_sse.c:

243         /* nb_pkts has to be floor-aligned to RTE_I40E_DESCS_PER_LOOP */
244         nb_pkts = RTE_ALIGN_FLOOR(nb_pkts, RTE_I40E_DESCS_PER_LOOP);
245

I think in this case the gap is not so much having a discovery mechanism
to determine min burst size, but rather a driver gap so as to allow some
form of slower-path fallback when we get below min-size bursts for the
vector driver.

/Bruce