[dpdk-dev] Future Direction for rte_eth_stats_get()

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Mon Feb 1 22:23:48 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 04:47:56PM +0000, David Harton (dharton) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I didn't see any follow up to this response.
>
> My original concern was rte_eth_stats_get() moving away from a more
> conventional based definition (note, I believe Matthew Hall made an
> interesting suggestion to follow a MIB based definition elsewhere).
> However, if modifying that API is not desired then I'd really like to have
> some feedback about extending the current xstats model.
>
> Again, it is desired not to have to copy and/or parse strings for
> scalability reasons but still maintain the "ABI flexibility" for which the
> xstats model was geared towards.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

For me, I'd like to be able to get the core common stats in single memory
blocks which are as self-consistent and atomic as possible.

I'd prefer to only resort to stuff like xstats using some kind of
string-to-number lookup at the beginning, and only for weird stuff not the
common MIB-like items.

>From past experience this would be very valuable.

Matthew.