[dpdk-dev] Per-queue bandwidth limit on XL710 NICs?

Paul Emmerich emmericp at net.in.tum.de
Mon Feb 15 18:34:51 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm using the per-queue rate control feature found in ixgbe-style NICs
(rte_eth_set_queue_rate_limit) quite extensively in my packet generator
MoonGen.

I've read some parts of the XL710 datasheet and I guess it should be
possible to implement this for this chip. I think there are two ways to
achieves this:

1) Limiting the main VSI and thus the whole port by calling
i40e_aq_config_vsi_bw_limit() in the driver works fine. Thus, creating
multiple VSIs for each rate-controlled queue would be a possible solution.
I'm not sure if that works without major modifications to the driver. I
probably need a VEB for that which currently isn't supported in the driver.

2) Use multiple TCs for the used VSI. That would limit us to 8 rate
limits but that would be okay. Probably the simpler solution.

Can anyone with more insight into the XL710 hardware give me some hints
on implementing this?

  Paul