[dpdk-dev] DPDK-QoS - link sharing across classes

sreenaath vasudevan sreenaathkv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 01:55:03 CET 2016

b) In current DPDK QoS implemention, if C1 has un-used b/w would that get
used by C0? Or is it only "lower priority class (C3, more specifically)
uses the un-used b/w from higher priority classes (C0,C1,C2) ?

[Cristian] Due to strict priority, it does not make sense to think about
higher priority classes using whatever is not used by low priority classes:
If high priority classes have traffic to send, they will always be picked
in the detriment of lower ones; when the high priority classes hit their
upper limit rate, then they are not allowed to send more, otherwise the
upper limit makes no sense. So the bandwidth reuse concept makes sense only
for low prio TCs to reuse whatever is not used from high prio TCs. Usually,
this is configured by fully provisioning TC0 .. TC2 and setting TC3 to 100%
of pipe rate, so TC3 can use its rate plus whatever gets unused by TC0 ..
TC2, so TC3 rate is between: 100% - (rate TC0 + rate TC1 + rate TC2) and
100% of pipe rate. As explained above, this can be applicable to e.g TC1 as
well when only TC0 and TC1 are actually used. So the answers to your 2
questions are: no/no.

>> Sreenaath - Let's say I have two classes TC0 and TC1 each having a
single queue. Let's say I give TC0 60% and TC1 100%. So according to DPDK's
implementation, TC1 can use 100% of the bandwidth if TC0 is inactive, while
TC0 at any time cannot exceed 60%, even if TC1 is inactive. Is that correct
? And since you mentioned that this is strict priority, according to this
implementation, high priority traffic cannot use 100% of the bw even if
there is no low priority traffic, but low priority traffic can use 100% of
the bw if there is no high priority traffic. Is my understanding correct ?
This doesn't make sense.

--
regards
sreenaath