[dpdk-dev] ACL memory allocation failures

Rapelly, Varun vrapelly at sonusnet.com
Mon Feb 29 13:06:32 CET 2016

Thanks Konstantin. Few more questions in line:

> Previous allocation error was coming with 1024 huge pages of 2 MB size.
>
> After increasing the huge pages to 2048, I was able to add another
> ~140 rules [IPv4 rule data--> with src, dst IP address & port, next header ] more, ie., 950 rules were added.

That's strange according to your log, all you need is ~13MB of hugepage memory:
ACL: allocation of 12966528 bytes on socket 0 for ipv4_acl_table1 Wonder what consumed rest of 4GB?
>> We are creating mem pools (for DPDK compatible 3 ports) for packet processing.
>>> And there are no free huge pages available after our DPDK app initialization.

Again do you re-build your table after every rule you add?
If so, then it seems a bit strange approach (and definitely not the fastest one).
>>Yes, we are rebuilding the rules every time and is due to 2 reasons:
>>1. Our application, gives full list of rules every time you add new rule.
>>2. There is no way to delete a specific rule in the trie. Is there any way to delete a specific ACL rule?

What you can do instead: create context; add all your rules into it; build;
>>> By following the same approach (what I explained above, rebuilding the ACL trie everytime), can we fix this memory allocation issue?
>>>If yes, please provide me some pointers to modify the code.

> Logically it did not increase number of rules [expected 2*817, but only 950 were added]. Is it really using huge pages memory only?
>
> From the code it looks like heap memory. [ ret =
> malloc_heap_alloc(&mcfg->malloc_heaps[i], type, size, 0, align == 0 ?
> 1 : align, 0) ]

As I can see from the log it fails at GEN phase, when trying to allocate hugepages for RT table.
At lib/librte_acl/acl_gen.c:509

rte_acl_gen(struct rte_acl_ctx *ctx, struct rte_acl_trie *trie,
        struct rte_acl_bld_trie *node_bld_trie, uint32_t num_tries,
        uint32_t num_categories, uint32_t data_index_sz, size_t max_size) { ...
mem = rte_zmalloc_socket(ctx->name, total_size, RTE_CACHE_LINE_SIZE,
                        ctx->socket_id); if (mem == NULL) {
                RTE_LOG(ERR, ACL,
                        "allocation of %zu bytes on socket %d for %s failed\n",
                        total_size, ctx->socket_id, ctx->name);
                return -ENOMEM;
}
>>> Is there any way to reserve some particular amount of huge page memory for ACL trie (in eal_init())?

Konstantin